Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MY HEARTS' HAVEN DAYBOOK 2008






So, this is the Daybook post I wrote for the last Sunday in September. With Blogger not letting me post and the crazy hecticness of life........which will not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.........this is the first I could get this post to the blog. I imagine I will still have some trouble getting here.........but, I will try.

In the meantime, here is the post........and a few updates in RED:

My Hearts' Haven Daybook
Sunday, September 28, 2008


Hudson's Birthday.............happy 7th birthday to a sweet nephew!

Outside My Window...........quite a warm day, sunny and bright........and smokeless! Did I mention when we returned last week from Disneyland, it was a bit smoky here???? ugh. This will probably be the warmest day of the Fall, near 87*.......after this.......it may be 8 months or more, before we hit 87* again.......it is only downhill on the thermometer for now......and, with such a warm day, I found a bit of energy to hang out a large load of clothes, with some help from the two oldest, which I appreciated very much! How right I was! The leggings and gloves have come out already!

I am thinking........how lovely it is there are still some flowers around here to enjoy. Even though my garden looks past it prime...............the row of flowers is untouched. And they are happy and blooming beautifully, still. And, the few flowering plants under my living room window have taken to a second bloom.....quite a pleasant surprise for me to find on my return home from Disneyland, where the flowers rarely notice the change of seasons. And, the little bunch of Johnnie-Jump-Ups peeking from under the porch are adorable.



I am thankful for
........my friendship with Willa.......and the opportunity to have a brief visit together. Oh, why do we have to live so far apart??? It seems kind of interesting when you think about the pain, or suffering, that is just built into our friendship. While we are close friends, there is always pain......pain of separation........even when we are together........the pain of certain separation looms. I guess one has to decide if the pain is worth close, but distant, friendships. In this case, the answer is easy.....of course, yes.

And, then.................there are Gloria & Robynn & Su.........and so on......great friendships.......definitely some pain. All worth it...............even though a year can go by before we see each other again. :(

Excepting Gloria, of course, whom we can often see once a month. Her pregancy has been hard on us here at Hearts' Haven.........a TRUE confinement for us, from Gloria, who could not travel up here since the 4th of July. We are so happy Benedict has arrived.......now we can see them in October! We miss her! We will be visiting them in San Francisco this coming weekend.......and then only 1 1/2 weeks before they come up to see us!

From the kitchen........whatever you can find for yourself. With mom being un-well this last week, and company for three days........that's just what you get. There are leftovers: soup, chili, homemade "Tasha Tudor" cornbread and barbequed tri-tip.

I am wearing........need I say it??? :) Camping clothes........this time, a 4-tiered denim skirt with camping top: faded & flowered & short-sleeved.

I am creating........in my mind: a plan for the next school week. In my reality: not much planning actually going down in hard copy. Well........not sure that amounted to much!

I am going........to skip this question this week......as nothing inspiring is coming to mind.

I am reading.........my children are kind of embarrassed...but I will just come out and say it: Life is Just What You Make It by Donny Osmond. Yes, it is his biography. I found it at Robynn's house......and she lent it to me. I was not a die-hard Donny fan..........but I did watch him every Friday night at 8pm on the Donny and Marie show. :) I would say the fun part about reading about his life is that it provided the back stage scene of a part of the time period I grew up in...........something I rarely get since I am always reading bigraphies of people before my time..........or books written in older days. Also, what a refreshing look at a celebrity that lead a clean life. I am also still trying to finish up The Four Loves by CS Lewis...........I am enjoying it...........it is just talking so long because it is hard to read just a few minutes here and there............I need at least ten- 15 minutes to get a good bite. I am reading The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis out loud to the two younger boys.

I am hoping.......to gain my full-strength back for this next week, to have 30 hours in a day......NO sleeping deprivations of any sort............and a most efficient school week. PLeeeeeeSE God??? Pretty, please??? :) Hmmm..........got more strength back, but those 30 hour days never did materialize. Gotta talk to God about that! :)

I am hearing......the hum of the computer..... general chattering from five of the six..........the third oldest is sitting here near me on my bed, engrossed in LM Montgomery's The Blue Castle, a favorite around here! She isn't making any noise. :)

I am wondering.......when we will be lighting our first fire of the season, As I have said in the past.......we heat by wood only........with very rare monitor heater use, usually only 0-2x a month.........usually if we have been away from home all day and it is severely cold.....painfully cold. Some of you know what I mean, don't you? :) Well, one day I was gone......at work I think...............and Marty started the first fire. I am glad he did it. I was so unwilling to be the first.........like it was a weakness or something :) We have been quite cold here.....below freezing.....but we kept forgetting to start a fire in time. :)

Around the house
.......the mildly scattered mess of visitors recently departed. It is not bad at all.....a bit of putting a few things away..........and then a quick, mop and vacuum. I DO need to go face it though. :) Well, we got some of it cleaned up......but it was not until yesterday that we finally have a decluttered house!

Now Showing..........the kids and visitors enjoyed a few episodes of Jeeves and Wooster over the last few days........oh, and the older ones re-watched Hairspray. And we had friends over to watch Enchanted last night. Anne and I have started a Scottish series called "The Monarch of the Glen" from Netflix.

In the schoolroom.........Matthew has been sleeping there while we had company.......so, there is a futon on the floor, socks strewn.....oh, oops.......this is supposed to be about what we are currently studying.........NOT what the schoolroom literally looks like! :)

Well, we have had the majority of the week light due to ill mama, recently returned from a trip and company for a few days........today I hope to put out some energy to prepare for the upcoming week...........so, I actually have something to write about here.

One of my favorite things
.........Minute-Maid's Frozen Lemonade.........tastes best when consumed at Disneyland......one a day, if you can manage it.

Signs of the season...........we changed the summery tablecloth to refect the fall season and pulled out a very large orange candle that I have been using for many years.......just has not burned down yet!....as a centerpiece. The garden SO LOOKS DONE.....SO sad...........though there are few things not minding these cooler nights..............and that freeze mid-September. One tree in our mini-orchard is changing colors.........and the MOST abundant apples and pears our orchard has ever, ever produced. Well, that tree changed colors, and with the first wind, was blown bare.

I was sitting chatting with Willa the other day, and I said: I am hungry! As I thought about what to eat, I decided on an apple, and dragged Willa outside to pick an apple right off of the tree! Then, we tried another variety.......mmmmm! the best ever! How cool is this???

Hey, if you are a local friend, you can come eat an apple right off of my tree, too, if you want.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week.......

Let's see.......

I work on Tuesday......and it is homeschool mom's night out (it is so nice to be able to write that....it just was not possible when my kids were little....not enough moms!) the same night.....hopefully I can get off in time to attend. I did not work that day...........and I DID go to mom's night out. mexican food.

Soccer games and practices. Oops...........I missed one of Malachy's games.........I memorized the wrong date for it! Poor guy!

Play practices for the play at the charter school, twice.

A run up to the state of Oregon for orthodontist appointments for four......and a routine check-up for the wee fellow. It will be a very quick trip........in order to get Matthew back in time for class.......none of that all-day-long shopping stuff. Aw, man! Someone in the office wrote the date of the appointment in their files........but it never made it to the calendar. So, we never made it that day..........which I was kind of glad about.........as I was SO not in the mood to go up that day. We re-scheduled for last Saturday.

Our dear friend Sierra is turning 16yrs on Friday........there will be TWO parties...one with just girls, including my three.....and then a barbeque the next day, for lots of families. Sierra is the oldest of 8......though #8 will not be here till a couple of weeks after her birthday. My family loves to socialize with their family.....we are really looking forward to this! We had a wonderful time that weekend. And, they were the family that came to watch a movie with us last night...........though the kids only, aged 21 months to 16 years........because mom and dad went to the hospital to have baby #8......awaiting news this morning! We had 13 kids here last night. :) I told Gloria it was to prepare me for her more frequent visits. :)

Good health!

Special prayer requests on my mind this week........good health for our whole family........for the Saint Gerard post..........getting back on our feet, educationally............and for private intentions........for Willa's travels and for a wonderful family reunion with her parents and brothers. This she had! And, Garrett is now recovering from his cold.


Do you have any special intentions to share with us?

I am currently scrapbooking.........no actual work this week......but I did put big order into Creative Memories......even though I am such a geek, and forgot to order the papers for the opening scrapbook page of our Star-Spangled Adventure 2007! Sheesh........ I did order an album and 6 refill pages to get started........and then I forget the first page. I set a few dates to go scrapbook with Louise...starting tomorrow. With Anne turning 20 next week.........it would be fun to be only 20 years behind, to the day! Though, that is very unlikely to happen...........Well, Louise and I had to re-schedule.....probably not til I get back from San Fran........and, we are planning to have at least one day be a mostly all-day-er. I have been going through my Creative Memories magazines looking for inspiration for the SSA album.......and marking the pages. My Creative Memories order came so fast......in about 48 hours! I also ordered that one item from a local gal and I have that now, too. Now, to get started!

Here is picture thought I am sharing........




Taken at the Getty Villa on our trip down south to Disneyland.


Blessings and love...........

Chari

1 comment:

Chari said...

Just for the record.....this post was posted on October 13, 2008...........Blogger thinks otherwise.......and I am very frutrated. :)