Tuesday, May 26, 2009

MY HEARTS' HAVEN DAYBOOK 2009


Written Sunday morning, May 24th.......

Outside My Window.......a gorgeous sunny day.......like last week.......and like the week to come.........I am deliriously happy about the weather!!!!! :)


I am thinking........so MUCH to do! Where to start??? SHOULD I start??? I want to slow dowwwwwn!

I am also sadly thinking about a situation that happened recently...........someone was strangely offended by something I did........It was a simple thing and now it is making for bad feelings in her family......please pray! And, what I did was NOT offensive......and if I could do it over again.........I would have to do the same thing! My conscience would not allow me otherwise. Oh!

I am thankful for.......... warm weather...........for my kids helping to put the garden in..........for the amazing work they did in putting on a play........for my friend Maria.........and for Gloria..........and for being chosen to be Benedict's godmother........and.........and........and.....

From the kitchen.........bacon sandwiches for lunch.........we are eating leftover Costco lasagna for dinner and some steamed veggies........we need to run out of the house........again......for another show........the final show......I also hope to make a cake or cupcakes.......for Christopher (Maria's # 4 out of 8) who is passing the programs out at the play tonight. It is his birthday...........and I was his nurse when he was born!

I am wearing........a nightie.........and a hand-me-down Disneyland sweatshirt from my dad........

I am creating........not. Just trying to maintain. :)

I am going...........not sure :)

I am reading......... Still barely reading The Confessions of Saint Augustine. And I am 1/3 through Walden; Or Life in the Woods by Henry David Thoreau. I need to start a new book with the boys........Back of the North Wind??? Maybe. I just read six picture books to them by Ferida Wolff. Also our weekly newspaper........that has an article and photo, both by me.........for the kid's play. I almost forgot........I just read Betsy-Tacy and Heaven to Betsy by Maud Hart Lovelace.

Here is the book review I wrote for Abraham's Book Challenge:

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

I was needing something light to read while I am in the middle of something "heavy" and this book "popped" off of a list. This is the first in a series. My friend Lissa loves this series as does my oldest daughter, Anne. (In case you wonder who my friend Lissa is.......she is an author of Little House "pre-quels" and her pen name is Melissa Wiley. She wrote the Martha Years and the Charlotte Years.) Right away I found out something I had been assuming WRONG for years. I had always thought that Betsy-Tacy, was ONE person! I had no idea it was TWO girls.

It is an adorable book!
It was written in 1940. It is a story about 2 five year olds who meet and become best friends. They are such sweet little girls! I love their family lives. So good, so pure. In this first book of the series, a very sad thing happens in Tacy's family. And, a very happy thing happens in Betsy's family. Tacy has about 8 siblings....and Betsy only one. Both have 8 year old sisters who become very good friends, too. They live on Hill Street at the top...their house are the last two houses, across from each other. Betsy's dad has a store and I forget what Tacy's dad does. Both dads "drive" to work in buggies or wagons. They both have barns. Betsy's mom is so sweet. I was surprised at how much freedom two five-year-old girls are allowed!

They live in Minnesota and I just found out from the link below that it is based on the author's hometown of Mankato.....a town I drove through recently on a cross-country trip. That will make it easier to imagine their surroundings. That is always fun.

The girls love to sit at the bench on the top of the hill and have picnics. They also have a piano box in the backyard of Betsy's house and they have their own little "living room" in it. They play "paper dolls" with magazine cut-outs and the "dolls" live in magazines. They love to play dress-up.


I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. From looking at this website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy-Tacy I find that each story has the girls getting older....all the way to the first few years of Betsy's married life and each book in the series becomes a higher reading level. I only own the first book and the last four......so I will have to try the library for the others.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to little girls whether as read aloud from mom or to read to themselves. I think Shawna should read this to her two little girls soon...and she can borrow my book if she wants. I highly doubt little boys would be interested in this story. I am so glad I was inspired to pick up this book I missed as a girl.

AND.......I still need to write the other one.......


I am hoping.............that our cat, Jane, named ofter Jane in Pride & Prejudice........miraculously lives.........and if she does not, that her kittens will be well-cared for by her sister Lizzie.............who is at this moment nursing the four of them along with her one kitten. Boy, was she shocked when I gave all of those kittens to her last night!

I am hearing......Maddelyn playing her piano pieces, readying for her recitals next week........and the two youngest boys playing together......barely below the argument level.... :/

I am wondering.......why computers must be a pain in the ____!!!! Every computer I am touching this week makes me nuts..........from the computers at home, including Anne's new one......to the one at work.....at Rite Aid photo center.........to my new cell phone.......to my new camera.....to the ones at the charter school......ACK!!!!!!!

Around the house.......wet, clean clothes to hang on the line......a floor to be vacuumed.......cupcakes to make......an entire house to organize (I sound like a broken record :) )........I HAVE gone through Malachy's clothes.....both in the drawers and in storage......so he is ready for summer.........and I have gone through Maddelyn's drawer with her.

Now Showing..........I just watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I was looking forward to seeing it because I recently read the short story of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I loved the story! Therefore, I was disappointed with the movie.........because it barely had anything in common with the original story. The acting was good of, course...........but, it is a long (almost three hours) and strange story.........and all of the coupling between couples was between unwed couples. The original story was SO good! It was good enough for a movie...........why did they have to change it!

We saw the second disc of The Planet Earth, a BBC series from Discovery Channel. It included Ice Worlds.........FABULOUS!!! Deserts............SO COOL!!! They spent over 25 million dollars making the series.......and it shows. It is absolutely wonderful and amazing!!! See it if you can........we are getting ours from Netflix.

Though.........I have found that my dad has the series on DVD so I am trying to get a hold of his set now.

In the schoolroom.....and OUT of the schoolroom....NOT MUCH............mostly is it PLAY Performance WEEK!

Though there is some......Handel, math........Sarah finished her math-u-see book and has one more to go.........Maddelyn is 2/3rds done with the last book........and hopes to start Jacob's algebra soon. Garrett and Malachy are plugging away at their math books.......Some baseball, teeball (just finished this week!) piano, singing, American history, chicken egg development, picture books........

The BIG projects this week, after the play is done.........for Matthew to get his high school project papers done so he can graduate at the end of the week and Maddelyn has two 8th grade projects to do before she moves up to 9th grade.

Also, I have something "new" in homeschooling that is exciting me.......I hope to share eventually..........I just pray I can see it through!

One of my favorite things.........as they say in the song from one of my favorite musicals: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: Spring, Spring, Spring!!!

Signs of the seasons............that gorgeous bright spring green EVERYWHERE!!!! Wonderful and comfortable temperatures!!!! Flowers everywhere..........swallows building at least eight nests on the third floor of the fort (my grandma would hate that!).........mowing and watering of the lawn......a visit to the lake.........a hike to several falls.....sandals...........happy am I!

In the garden............all the seeds are in..........and I think.....I may have actually combined the carrot and lettuce seeds into one packet..........this should be interesting!!!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...........

Monday-music night for piano is in the evening..........a barbeque with several families???

Tuesday-go to lake with Gloria & John, graduation rehearsal for Matthew, Piano lessons for three of the kids........and one more performance of The Gazebo for the kids so we can film it

Wednesday-Matthew presents his high school project to two teachers..........a private piano recital in the evening.......only Sarah & Maddelyn will be playing from our family

Thursday-Matthew graduates from our charter school this evening

Friday-we go see TWO different dance school performances because we have friends at two different studios.......and baseball for Garrett that evening and possibly my older children will go to a dance........but we are thinking about having our own at a different time :)

Saturday-Garrett's baseball team having a kids vs parents game & barbeque....not sure if I should embarrass Garrett and Marty by playing, in a skirt :)

Sunday-Mass, followed by the official piano recital at which Garrett, Maddelyn & Sarah will be playing

Monday-45 chickies arrive!!! Garrett has a baseball game in the evening

Tuesday-five of six kids go to orthodontist at a city 1.25 hours north of here.............and perhaps Mom's Night Out at my favorite local restaurant

And, now...........if I shall not be here much.........you can see why!

Special prayer requests on my mind this week.....for private intentions..........for these breathing issues I have...........for two someones very close to me who have deadlines........for my friend Willa and her family after the passing of her father.........for two acquaintances of my children (through theater) whose father died earlier this month (I just found out)..........for other health issues for many I know

St. Gerard's List..........Tonia (my co-worker, due the same due date as Malachy: October 20th), Suzanne, (Gloria's sister), Louise, Victoria & Erica.....and we can add two of our nieces......both in New Hampshire: Clara due with #5 and Suzanne with #2. And, now, my friend Jodie is due with #9 and Gloria's sister-in-law Jody is due with #5!

I am currently scrapbooking..........I actually found a bit of time to scrapbook.......but not until I re-organized my scrapbook stuff and put it totally out of sight..........to save till June.......did I realize I actually had time to do it two nights while Matthew as building his set. So, I got Anne's baptism photos and first two weeks of life scrapbooked. yes!

And, now, it is all put away............I am not sure when it will come out..........by the end of June for sure..........I hope to go away for a week and take it with me.

I am exercising.........unfortunately, I have taken 2-3 weeks off............due to illness and other such stuff, such as NEVER being home!!

I do hope to get a 2 mile walk in with the kids today along the railroad tracks behind our house.

Here is picture thought I am sharing........
Signs of spring near the falls.......

God bless us all!

Love, Chari

No comments: